Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ask AnswerWoman

Some of you have left questions and comments after recent posts. Some answers I tried to email to you, but I honestly haven’t figured out a good way to respond. This post is an attempt to answer a few of those items. For those who might be curious, I’ve inserted links to the original posts which provoked the comments/questions.
  • No, Golda hasn’t arrived yet, but we did look last weekend. Farida decided that Mohammed, Jesus, Krishna and Buddha would eat Golda, and that wouldn’t be a good thing. But I guess that’s actually not too far from reality, is it?  The Druze, the Jain and the Bahai are probably going to take even longer.
  • Yes, I admit I could have vacuumed in the time it took to write the post. But I had fun writing. I wouldn’t have had fun schlepping the Rainbow all over the house.
  • Yes, it’s surprising how much Abid looks like his mother, but what would really surprise you is how much Nasreen looks like the aunt she was named after. At Christmas she complained about a photo that made her look “too ethnic,” and we thought she was joking–until she brought out the photo of Auntie Safia. The resemblance is uncanny.
  • Definitely yes to the cuppa once the big storm which is supposed to pound us this week gets over with and there are no chain restrictions to get to the valley. I don’t do chains.
  • Call me slow or naive or whatever. You are right that in many areas (Afghanistan particularly comes to mind) women are considered second-class citizens. To Abid’s family’s credit (or my ignorance), I never got the feeling that the men in his family looked down on the women of the family at all. Quite the contrary. Many are quite well educated, highly-respected physicians, which is a tribute to the men who encouraged their education and careers. This does not imply that this is necessarily the norm with other families. Yet at the time I was in Pakistan, all of the women of Abid's family still observed the custom of segregating the sexes at social gatherings. The women would also wear burqa when prudence dictated, although it was not the norm for them. They did it by choice, not by obligation. Abid’s family also nominally observed the “arranged marriage” custom although I know of several cases where the couple knew each other and wanted to marry but had the families make the arrangements.
  • Getting published was the result of having a great writing teacher, fantastic co-authors, perserverence, several years of classes–and a certain amount of luck.
Whew! I thought this would be a quick post, but it’s now an hour and a half in the writing. But I think I’ve caught up with everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment