Thursday, January 7, 2010

Answer to Yesterday's Question

At the end of yesterday's post, I asked:

Do you notice anything unusual about the upper two photos? (I know they're very fuzzy--hey, they're 40 years old and scanned from paper originals.) Let me know what you see that makes this different from the typical United States soiree.













































The answer:

No men.

At Pakistani parties, at least during the time I was there, men and women were "segregated," men in one room, women and children in another. When food was served, men ate first and separately, women and children followed.

I am far from a party animal, but even I found the lack of male interaction to be stifling and . . . boring. But it was the custom.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm behind in reading and making comments. But you know, at least now, from your readings that in that part of the country women are still very much second class, and below, citizens... if they even have the distinction of being citizens. That's what education is all about... making all equal.

    ReplyDelete