Saturday, January 9, 2010

It's Official: I'm Addicted

It's time to come clean. I'm addicted to blogging, both writing and reading. I've got my reasons.

Writing:

I started this adventure as a way to get back into writing after years of saying,"I'll write when I have more time . . . "

At this point the prose being churned out would not meet the exacting standards of either of my writing gurus, Elnora King and Susan Ohlsen, but Elnora has always emphasized that it's important to get what's on your mind down on paper/computer screen on a regular basis, and I'm doing that. Whether anyone reads doesn't really matter (although I *love* to hear that you do). It simply has been incredibly therapeutic to express these crazy thoughts.

I also wanted to chronicle a bit of family history for my girls while I still have a few brain cells left. It's sad to recognize how many of the memories I swore I'd never lose have disappeared forever. Way back in 1979 Farida, Nasreen, my mom and I sat in my aunt and uncle's home in Oklahoma City discussing how important it is to document the past. Uncle Ralph regaled us with stories of my dad and his brothers growing up in Central City, NE. Most of them (stories, not my dad or uncles) have now been forgotten.With the death of my aunt Bessie in 2009, all of that generation is gone, and those tales are gone, too.

The blog has also become a way to keep in contact with friends the world over, and this has been a blessing beyond belief. Seems like I've kept quite a bit of my life "secret" over the years. Haven't meant to. Blogging is a way to keep in touch with friends in a kind of general way. It doesn't take the place of a phone call or a personal letter or email, but it helps a bit.

Beyond all of that, the blog has also been instrumental in my looking at life in a distinctly more critical way. I see bloggable moments now that would have sailed by, and it's more fun than you can imagine to write about them.

Reading:

In the beginning it was Pioneerwoman and only Pioneerwoman. I had no idea how diverse and fascinating the blogging world is. The list has grown so much that it has developed categories.

First thing in the morning (in a league all their own). I mentioned these in a prior post, but they bear repeating:

  • Pioneerwoman - simply amazing. Her humor, her writing, photography and her views of country life make this a must-read on a daily basis
  • Jasmine Star - this should be on the photography list--except that it's much more than just photography. She's another whose view of life inspires and provokes thought.
Friends/Family

  • Farida - my daughter's new photography blog
  • Pat - long-time friend, traveling companion
  • Virginia Pilegard - former writing partner, forever friend, awesome author, great inspiration

Reading Pioneerwoman and Jasmine have led to other fascinating blogs that can keep me engaged for HOURS at a time. In fact I started reading the PW archives, including the comments, and have discovered a treasure-trove of literature. So many folks who comment on her posts are bloggers themselves . . . some are humorous, some sarcastic, all are witty. I've read comments where someone will have just stumbled upon PW's blog and will read her entire archive in an afternoon. I'm not sure how they accomplish that. PW began writing in May 2006. As of two nights ago, I am up to May 2007.

The amazing thing is, the blogging world is a very small community. Once you start reading you discover the same names appearing time and again in each others' posts and comments. And these people soon become almost friends as you read them on a daily basis.

I've mentioned a few previously but am repeating them here to make the list complete (as of today). Just so you know, I'm sharing these sites in hopes that you, too, will get addicted as I am and spend too many hours of the day sitting on your fanny reading! The links make it easy for you to check 'em out. What the heck . . . take a chance . . . click on one or more that whet your fancy and see where it takes you.
  • Dooce - Heather Armstrong, who got fired a few years back because of what she wrote on her blog and turned said blog into one of the most widely-read. It made Time's list of 25 Best Blogs of 2009, along with Pioneerwoman and Zen Habits.
  • I Am Bossy - Philadelphia-based Georgia Getz (BOSSY) has a style and wit all her own.
  • Granny Mountain - down-home tales from Arkansas, especially enjoyable now that Pat has moved to that state
  • Going Country - Love this tale of a pregnant city girl living on a farm in upstate New York in an old, old house with her husband, mother-in-law and a herd of animals.
  • NieNie Dialogues - amazing tales of a Morman wife and mother living in Utah in recovery from a horrific airplane crash. Her honesty about her circumstances and her recovery just blows me away.
  • Rocks in my Dryer - very diverse blog by a young woman who has just completed a book about blogging, among other things.
  • Daddy Scratches - one of the few male-authored blogs I've found   
  • Running with Stilettos - I met Mary Wagner at the Visitors' Bureau when she and her son visited Yosemite, and I've followed her blog ever since. Sadly, she's too busy with her legal career (and life) to write often.     
You know what's annoying? When you get connected to someone and they don't post all that often. 
    Self-Improvement Blogs (for lack of a better term)
    • Zen Habits (along with PW and Dooce, named among Time's 25 best blogs of 2009)
    • Blog 4 Change
    • 50 in 52 Journey - one woman's drive to make a difference; 50 states in 52 weeks
    • 1000 Mitzvahs - call me crazy but after being involved with a Jewish man for nearly 4 years, I have embraced the idea of "mitzvahs," good deeds, and the writer of this blog has vowed to complete 1000 of them in honor of her deceased father
    • Greg Mortenson - of Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools fame
    Photography Blogs, in no particular order
    Yosemite/Hiking - this list includes several photography sites which often specialize in Yosemite images and is sadly lacking in entries. If anyone knows of any other Yosemite or Sierra blogs that should be mentioned, please let me know.
    1/9/10 6:50 a.m. NEWS FLASH! Edie from View from the Little Red Tent came through for me this morning on her blog, with a very interesting Yosemite site:

    • Tree in the Door - blog by David Sharpness on Yosemite flora and fauna. As Edie says, "David is a videographer and photographer specializing in filming and photographing the wildlife of Yosemite, with a special emphasis on birds of prey." This is just what I was looking for. Thanks, Edie!
      Blogs about Blogging


        Yes, folks, I pretty much visit many of these blogs each and every day. Is it any wonder that I am up by 5:30 am and in bed at 1:00 am? Oh, my. In reviewing this list, I realize it is woefully incomplete. There are a number of other blogs I look in on regularly. This, my friends, will have to do for now.

        What blogs do you read? 
        What blogs on my lists did you check out? What did you think?

        3 comments:

        1. Judi, thanks for the shout-out--and definitely add David's blog to your reading list. Quirky writing style, but fun to read and the pictures are worthwhile.

          Where-abouts do you live? Any chance of meeting up at the Lodge food court for a cuppa coffee/tea/cocoa?

          Edie

          ReplyDelete
        2. OK, now you've done it. You know how much I love to read and check out new things that you let me know about. Are you trying to sabotage my being a book reader and hooking me on these blogs? You know I have to check most, if not all, of them out. I'm glad you mentioned Granny Mountain cause I forgot the name and was going to mention it in Skype of e-mail.
          I blog cause I'm a frustrated writer and like you, want too get some thoughts down. I agree about the brain cells; I really need to work on my life so my kids and grandkids understand me more and understand the times I lived through. Keep up the good work and I'll keep up reading you.
          Any chance of you coming down the weekend of Jan 29 to Feb 1. I'll be in town packing and would love to see you.

          ReplyDelete
        3. Judi, thank you so much for the kind words! GrannyMountain gives me a voice I didn't even know I had! I too am addicted and love reading as well as writing my blog each day. I just "met" your friend Pat and read her blog on the changes she is experiencing with the move to Arkanasas. So look forward to getting to know both of you better through your blogs! Again, thank you so much for including me in your favorites!
          Joycee at grannymountain

          ReplyDelete