Saturday, January 16, 2010

An Alternative to TIVO

In a prior post I lamented that among many other things, I'm addicted to Tivo, thanks to younger daughter Nasreen.

I'm pleased to say that I've conquered the Tivo addiction.

Because . . . now I'm tethered to my newest toy, my iTouch, also thanks to Nasreen. She's had hers for years, loves it and has shared it with me on occasion. I've craved one for years but was able to resist the impulse until she told me about its "Kindle app," which I'll tell you about in a minute.

What is an iTouch, you ask? It's just like an iPhone, except without the phone service. You can play music, watch videos, play games (which I don't but could) and access the web through it.

You can even read books on it, with an application that allows you to download books in Kindle format. All in a device that's the same size as an iPhone. You'd think that an apparatus that small would not be comfortable to watch, but it is. In fact, since it's purse- or pocket-size, you can take it with you anywhere and have a good book at your fingertips. In additional fact, if you have Wi-fi access and you finish a book, you can download another instantaneously. But as Nas quickly found out, if you're an avid reader, as we are in our family, you can also rack up a big bill very quickly. I have yet to break down and actually purchase a book to read on my iTouch, but the important thing is, I could. I downloaded the sample of Vince Flynn's Pursuit of Honor and found myself almost ready to buy.

What I have really come to love is the Pandora music service. It's Internet based, so you have to have Wi-fi, but it allows you to create your own "radio station" with artists and music you love. For example, if you like Vince Gill's music, you can tell Pandora that. It will supply you with Vince's music--as well as other artists that Pandora deems similar. I have found myself turning the TV off because I enjoy the music so much. I have a Vince Gill "station," a Bonnie Raitt "station," a U2 "station," and a Celtic Woman "station." Because of Pandora, I discovered Susan Tedeschi, a previously unknown-to-me blues singer who sounds amazingly like Bonnie Raitt. Unfortunately Pandora is not free. After 40 hours of listening, they charge you .99 for the balance of the month. I think I can spring for that.

Oh, and to give credit where it's due, it's Farida who originally introduced me to Pandora.

Lest you fear that I've abandoned Tivo for my new love, not to worry. I now take my Tivo recordings with me, because I can transfer recordings I want to watch from my Tivo to my iTouch and have them available anywhere, anytime. (No worries about Wi-fi once they've been transferred.)

And with 32 gb of space, I should be able to have plenty of space for books, music and video. I hope.

Even Hunter loves the iTouch and knows how to use it.

What electronic devices or services are you addicted to and why?

2 comments:

  1. wow - you can transfer your tivo to it? i am tech. challenged but this sounds fantastic. good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I understood the English language!! I just sent my first text message 2 wks. ago. The remote for my new micro stereo is so small & full of little buttons that I need my reading glasses to change from FM to CD. Never mind MP3, I've only seen pictures of one. At least I held a Kindle in my little paws a while ago. Too bad I don't mess with Santa or the Tooth Fairy any more or I might have gotten lucky by now. Looks like I need upgrading.

    ReplyDelete