Thursday, January 7, 2010

Travels with Buddha


Have I ever mentioned that my daughter Farida is artistic?

Right-brained?

Imaginative?

Well, if I haven't, let me do so now.

She would tell you, though, that what I'm about to describe has nothing to do with imagination. It has to do with love, caring and compassion. And family.

When we all went down to Southern California in November, she knew she'd be staying for a while, and she worried about her four goldfish. They'd be left alone in a cold house for several days. People generally travel with dogs, and sometimes even with cats. But GOLDFISH? Who woulda thunk it?

"Hey, Mom, they're FAMILY," she explained, as she and Jason unloaded the car upon arrival at Nas's. The McDonald's Happy Meal bucket topped with rubber-banded Saran-Wrap made a perfect traveling aquarium to transport Buddha, Krishna, Mohammed and Jesus to their temporary home and back again.

Yup. Not only is she imaginative, artistic and compassionate, she's also ecumenical.

Question:  Have you traveled with a "special" pet? Tell me about it! Inquiring minds want to know.


Quote of the day:  The true essence of humankind is kindness. There are other qualities, which come from education or knowledge, but if one wishes to be a genuine human being and impart satisfying meaning to one’s existence, it is essential to have a good heart. -The 14th Dalai Lama-

Photo credit:  Jason Wilks

3 comments:

  1. Ecumentical my ASS!!!!!! Has dear Farida forgotten that Auntie Betty has been a proud and liberal Jew for 28 years???? If she doesn't add another goldfish named Moses, Abraham, Sarah or the best of all, Golda, to that Happy Meal crew the Angel Gabriel will be very angry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will go get them tomorrow. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the H-E-double hockey sticks does Ecumentical mean! I am offended...Okay, I looked it up I guess I am. My dearest Auntie Betty, I will do it tomorrow. Promise.

    ReplyDelete