Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Winter Wonderland 2009 #1



















It's usually all I can do to manage one blog entry a day, but this rates an exception.

On Monday, December 7, the Oakhurst/North Fork/Coarsegold area enjoyed its first snowfall of the season.

The drive to work yesterday morning was just incredible, with snow down to 1,500 ft. Frrrreeeezzzzing temps kept the snow on the trees through the day on Tuesday.

Although I'd taken my camera with me yesterday morning, ECCO's driveway can be so treacherous that I didn't chance taking it into the office with me; thus I missed all the really good photo ops early on. These two photos were taken at 4:30 p.m., as I started to make my way home. The first one offers a hint of sunset, but doesn't come close to showing the glorious, brilliant orangey-pink it really was.




















Of course there are those who see these photos and equate the snow on the trees with difficult driving conditions. Actually when I finally hit the road yesterday morning at around 9:15, the highways were just fine.

And, who knew! Co-worker Nancy clued me in to the new webcam installed at the top of Deadwood Mountain, the most potentially dangerous part of the road I drive from Coarsegold to Oakhurst. Now, during daylight hours, at least, I can take a look from home to see if there are (at that very moment, of course) any traffic snafus awaiting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment