Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Good News, Bad News

The good news is that I took a walk today.

The bad news is that it hurt like hell.

I really hate to admit how lacking in exercise and how out of shape I am, but this is confession time.

Up till now I've had plenty of excuses not to go for walks, most of them beginning with the letters "s" or "r." Today's letter was also an "s," standing for "sunshine." The weather was simply too beautiful to ignore, and all my excuses had run their course.

It was a minor walk, just down to the mailbox and back--no more than 2 miles round trip. I've done this walk or similar plenty of times, but not recently. Since September 22 I seem to have been fighting off one problem or another, in addition to the occasional inclement weather. But I seem to have shaken off the cold and lingering cough that I've suffered since September.

What I discovered during this walk is something that really deserves some action. My lower back hurt the entire time. Didn't matter if it was uphill, downhill or straightaway. It hurt. That's scary because my mom suffered from back problems for at least the last 15 years of her life, and it was a pain that never left her. I really don't want that for myself, especially when my preferred activity over the last five years or so has involved walking at a much more intense level than today's little jaunt.

Maybe this will be the wakeup call I need to take control of my health once again. Spring and summer will be here before we know it, and I don't want to miss all those hiking opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment