Friday, November 4, 2016

Capernaum - The Home of St. Peter

Before we travel the short distance from the Mt. of Beatitudes to Capernaum, I should make a short disclaimer. The Mt. of Beatitudes is not a mountain, at least in my sense of the word. It's more like a small hill, albeit one with gorgeous views. 

As I think back to the Bible stories of my youth, I remember picturing the place of the Sermon on the Mount as  similar to the southern California mountains I grew up with, thronged with people listening to Jesus. The reality, beautiful as it is, is far different. 

Were I to consider moving to Israel, I would probably have to think twice. Mountains are essential. Never seeing the sea again? Not a big deal. No mountains? Nope. Maybe that's the draw calling me back to Alaska over and over.

These are MY mountains, and this is my backyard:


Looking into Yosemite's Tenaya Canyon, with Half Dome and Cloud's Rest looming above
But enough of mountains vs. MOUNTAINS. On to Capernaum.

The overriding sense of Israel is history. Layers of history. Masses of history upon more history. Pre-Christian era, Roman, Judean, Crusader, Bysantine, it's all in one place. The United States is such a young country, that it's hard to fathom what the land of Israel has seen.


Roman ruins at Capernaum


Remnants of synagogue beneath Christian church above at Capernaum

A flag with the Jerusalem Cross flies above Capernaum


A glimpse of the sea beyond the ruins

Statue of St. Peter
We finally hauled ourselves back onto the bus to complete a circuit around the Sea of Galilee and return to paradise . . . Ein Gev. As we rode, I called Betty. "What do you think about joining me for a glass of wine tonight?"

This was an impromptu idea, not scripted like much of our previous time both at Massada and during the Road Scholar program. After consulting with Doobie, she confirmed they'd come by.

I'm so thankful we acted upon impulse. None of us knew, then, that would be our last in-person meeting of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment