Monday, November 30, 2009

Much to Give Thanks For

It's been quite a week.

A whirlwind visit Down South gave me a special opportunity to spend several days with younger daughter Nasreen, something that almost never happens. We did a bit of shopping, some fine dining and a lot of relaxed visiting. I totally enjoyed it. Knowing how much her mom enjoys fresh flowers, she had some waiting for me. I couldn't resist taking photos of them.




I also got the chance to reunite with two friends whom I hadn't seen since high school/college years. We found each other on Facebook and decided to catch up with a bit of each other's lives. Betty and Lowell have been married over 40 years (and theirs is the only wedding I have ever been in). I loved seeing them--and well as the booklet prepared at the last San Gabriel High School reunion. I have never been to any of the reunions and--based on the fact that Betty was one of three people I recognized--I won't be going to any future ones either.

Then on Tuesday evening, Farida, Jason and Hunter arrived for their Thanksgiving visit with Nasreen, Grams, O'Bob, O'Dad, Rich, Dylan and Andy in Trabuco Canyon. Since I'd thought we'd be waving to each other as I traveled north and they went south, it was wonderful surprise to get to spend a night and a bit of the next morning with them.

The drive back to the Central Valley featured a lack of major traffice (a blessing since Farida, et. al, spent some time in bumper-to-bumper traffic the night before), so I made good time and had a chance to regroup and get ready for Thanksgiving at ECCO.

I can only speak for myself, but even though Thanksgiving is definitely a day of work for ECCO employees, it's also a wonderful opportunity to see friends who come to spend the holiday with us. We hosted folks who traveled from Bakersfield in the south, Chico in the north and the Bay Area to the west as well.

An Exploritas group of 18 arrived on Monday to begin their Thanksgiving a bit early. Participants from Minnesota, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Colorado and various parts of California enjoyed classes in Yosemite natural history with instructor Shirley Spencer, a field trip to Yosemite Valley (replete with lunch at the grand Ahwahnee Hotel). They followed that the next day with a tour of the Wawona Hotel in the company of musician/historian Tom Bopp.

Although the group was smaller than in years past, I think all would agree that it was a gala celebration.

A select few stayed over for our third Artists' Creative Weekend, and we spent a quiet few days pursuing whatever activity we chose.

It was a terrific week/weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Great photos!!!! I finally celebratd Thanksgiving after at 26-year break. We were invited to a weekend at my religious friends village on a mountaintop in the Galilee. There were 20 diners that evening, 17 the next day, plus 3 dogs each meal & a total of 21 bottles of wine. All that in a caravan/trailer. Can you believe young men in their early twenties knowing all the words to "Alice's Restaurant?" That should give you an idea of the makeup of the group. Not exactly the Heuring, Fessler and Hussain soirees of old, but hilarious in a different way. You and the girls were on my mind a lot that day. Love, meeeee

    ReplyDelete