Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sleep Is Highly Overrated

Since I semi-retired, I've discovered that my most productive, or at least active, times are early morning (5 am to 7 am) and, gulp, 11 pm to . . . whenever I can persuade my eyes to close. All too often that ends up being 2 or 3 in the morning.

This habit can be quite disconcerting to those with whom I live or travel since it tends to go against the well-established time-table of most households. I'll also be the first to admit that I tend to not be the quietest person in the world.

This isn't healthy, and I'm really looking for a way to change this modus operandi, so far with no luck. Perhaps this phenomenon is related to the triple-digit temps the Central Valley and Sierra Nevada foothills have been experiencing for the past several weeks. It's difficult to slumber when you sweat.

Any suggestions out there, short of drugs or other banned substances?

Or should I just let the status quo stay and take advantage of the late-night quiet to be productive?

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Judi, I'm suffering from the same phenomenon these days, I think for the same reason. Not only are temps in the 3 digits, the humidity is 50%, unknown for the Jordan Valley. However, you'll NEVER catch me conscious between 5 and 7 a.m. Late at nite, you already know, is my best time of all. I have 2 solutions: 1) spend as much time as possible in a swimming pool 2) turn the a/c to as cold as you can, cuddle up under a feather quilt and sleep until November. I'm off to #2 right now. Love, Betty

    ReplyDelete