Saturday, July 25, 2009

Selling Yosemite

Who would really want to sell Yosemite, of all places?

Me, that's who.

I'd known for years that, once I had a bit of free time on my hands, I wanted to volunteer for the Yosemite Sierra Visitors' Bureau. A number of friends had told me how much they enjoyed it, and it would give me something a little different to do.

Little did I know that I would soon add “selling Yosemite” to my list of passions. It took probably the first batch of customers I helped to convince me. The fact that Al, the fellow I first worked with, has been volunteering for 15 years was a clue that hanging out at the Visitors' Bureau could be addictive. Another hint came from the volunteer who walked in the day before his shift to make sure all the bins were stocked to his satisfaction. Or the couple who stopped by the day after their regular shift, to see what was going on. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Tells me they like it around there.

Just about everyone who comes into YSVB is on vacation, in a good mood and aiming to have a fabulous visit. That's for starters. The majority of people I've met are visiting the park for the first time, have no idea where to begin and little knowledge of what they're about to see. Many of them come from other countries. In one day we've greeted visitors from Denmark, Belgium, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Taiwan . . . and a bunch from the United States, as well. The suggestions we give them get them energized and eager to explore.

The folks I really enjoy helping are those who have three to four days at their disposal, already have a place to stay and want to know how to make the most of their time. I tell them it's impossible to see all of Yosemite no matter how long you have to spend. I've lived here almost 20 years, and there's still a lot of the park I ache to explore. But with three or four days you can make a stab at some of the most memorable parts. It's great fun telling people where to go—and why.

Usually the first stop I recommend is the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. Unless you've stood in their shadow, it's hard to conceive of the grandeur of these ancient giants. Especially if kids are along, I suggest the .8 mile walk up to the Grizzly Giant, the oldest tree in the grove, pegged at between 1,900 to 2,400 years of age. Some of its branches are larger in circumference than the trunks of other species nearby. If they've got some extra time, I suggest a side trip outside the park to a magical place called Nelder Grove.

During late spring and summer, Glacier Point is a must. It looms 3,200 feet over the Yosemite valley floor and affords scenes of Curry Village, the Ahwahnee Hotel, the Merced River and Tenaya Canyon, not to mention Yosemite's magnificent waterfalls. Depending on the time of year, you can see Yosemite Falls, Snow Creek Falls (barely visible deep into Tenaya Canyon), Vernal, Nevada and Illilouette Fall. For all but Yosemite Falls, the very best way to see them is to put on hiking boots and hit the trail.

If they're hikers, I love to send them to Glacier Point Road, to stand atop Sentinel Dome, a granite mass that gives a 360 degree view of the park and a bird's-eye vista of neighboring Half Dome as well as Mt. Hoffman, Yosemite's geographical center. I tell them they can see the peaks of the Clark Range, including Mt. Starr King and Mt. Clark.

If they're flower aficionados and it's the right time of year, McGurk Meadow, again off Glacier Point Road, shows off with massive displays of Indian Paintbrush. Lupine, Corn Lilies, Crimson Columbine, Fireweed, Larkspur, Tiger Lilies and much, much more.

Of course, we go over the areas to visit within Yosemite Valley itself, but I really get excited when they've got enough time to get to the Yosemite high country over Tioga Road toward Tioga Pass and Lee Vining. Because in winter Tioga Road is buried in snow, Highway 120 is only open from approximately May through October. But when it is available, it is easily the most spectacular part of Yosemite (just my opinion--everyone has his own favorite spots). Along Tioga you'll find flower-laden lake trails (Lukens Lake, at White Wolf, Dana Meadows), granite domes, craggy peaks (Cathedral and Unicorn to name two) and lovely meadows (Tuolumne, of course). There is so much to see and do in Tioga that visitors could easily spend a month up there.

But there I go again, selling Yosemite.

In truth, Yosemite sells itself. At the Visitors' Bureau, we just give visitors a little nudge in the right directions . . . and fall in love with Yosemite all over again, ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment