Saturday, May 9, 2020

Wadi Rum - Out of this World

It gets old after a while, doesn't it? Someone saying "this was the most (beautiful)(fascinating)(exciting) (historical)--pick one--I've ever visited." But actually that's what happened on our Israel trip. Each place we visited built on the next, until I really hated to leave.

I had never heard of Wadi Rum until my visit to Israel and Jordan, but what a very special place it is.  I've put links in this post so you can read up as much or as little as you choose since my memory for details has faded in the last 3.5 years

Think lunar landscape dotted with huge sandstone shapes. Think Lawrence of Arabia. Picture Bedouins with their camel-hair and goat-hair tents. If you've watched "The Martian," you've seen Wadi Rum, but there's nothing like being there in person. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Bedouin encampment at Wadi Rum. Tent is made from goat hair.


The Seven Pillars of Wisdom as seen from Wadi Rum Visitor Center

Coffee Grinder

Valley of the Moon


Brewing Coffee the Bedouin Way
T. H. Lawrence - "Lawrence of Arabia" carved in stone


Our Bedouin Hosts


Zac, our Jordanian Guide, 'xplainin' things











No comments:

Post a Comment