Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A Very Special Birthday

When I first explored the possibility of traveling to Israel, I looked for hiking programs. I found one that took place in September, and that struck me as providential.

Betty and I have spent many holidays together (and apart). Christmases, Thanksgivings, birthdays, everything you can think of. But we hadn't shared any of those for over twenty years. The fact that I would be in Israel on September 21, Betty's birthday, meant that even if we couldn't be together on that exact day, we could celebrate during my visit.

When the hiking program canceled, I was disappointed both because I wanted to hike and because I wanted to have the opportunity to wish my friend happy birthday in person close to her natal day.

The new program, Israel and Jordan:  The Journey of a Lifetime, would take place close to the same days as the original program. Even better, on September 21, I would be spending the night at Ein Gev, just a few miles from Betty and Doobie's home. Learning this, I knew this was when I was meant to travel. All the signs pointed to it.

I told Betty and Doobie that dinner would be my treat and the site her choice, but they'd need to provide the transportation. At first Betty thought she wanted to go to a restaurant at Yardenit, but Gila told me that Ein Gev had three restaurants either on-site or close by and suggested I mention that to Betty. If we went to a restaurant at Ein Gev, Betty and Doobie would only have to drive up and back instead of making two round-trips.

Thinking it all over, Betty selected a local steak place called Marinado, known for its beef. They picked me up, and I insisted they gape at my back-door view before we left for the restaurant.

Dinner was not a disappointment. After placing our order with the lovely server from Russia, we toasted Betty's birthday with a bottle of champagne, enjoyed huge salads and each of us got prime rib. I love prime rib, and this was the best I have ever eaten. The "small" slab of meat was so huge that I could eat barely half. The other half went home with Betty and Doobie.

Dessert had become no stranger to my palate since I'd arrived in Israel, and this night was no exception. We got an ice cream dish to share, and it, too, was delicious. We relished every bite.

Betty had told me from the beginning of my planning that September was far from ideal for a visit. The weather promised to be hot and humid, and it was. 

But the timing couldn't have been better to be able to share my friend's birthday once more.

Believe it or not, not one photograph was taken on this momentous occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment