Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Hole in My Heart & Three New Loves

It's been a long time since I've been a faithful blogger, and nothing has changed.

Well, everything has changed, and that's the reason for the current long silence.

On April 12, 2013, I lost a sister-of-the-heart, a friend, a buddy and a neighbor. It's left a big hole in my soul. Penny passed away after a long, long year of misery and pain. It wasn't expected, not by a long shot. I'm relieved she's out of pain and back in the arms of her husband, Larry.

We spent a lot of time together, more so over the past year when she became so immobilized. We spent many evenings on the back deck doing dinner, wine and Margaritas. We watched DWTS together. We hung out, and so did our "kids."

I miss her so much. Every time I look "down the hill" at the little white house with red trim and see a light on, I think, "she's home." Then I remember. She's home, all right. Just not where I can see her.

As a result of her passing, I now have three new family members. Katie, Kasey and Sombra came to live with me last Saturday, a week ago today, when Penny's house was closed up for the interim. I knew if this ever happened that I would be getting Kasey and Sombra. Katie was an unexpected but much loved and much wanted bonus.

Those in the know think it's because Katie comes with a trust fund. Not.

Katie reminds me--always has--of my dearly loved, departed, Goldie. I fell in love from the first moment I met Kate, many years ago. She has Goldie's love of grub, Goldie's mellow personality and is just an all-around great dog. I had to negotiate for her, and I'm pleased to say, I "won."

Sombra means "shadow" in Spanish, and she's as black as night and just as feisty. She came complete with a hole in her cat suit, which means she and I have done battle from day one with her wanting to go outside and me telling her she can't. Not yet. So far she's thumbed her nose at me twice, but I've gotten her back none the worse for wear.

Kasey is a story unto himself. I got him because just about everyone else is afraid of him, and I got the short straw. He's been known as the ADHD/ADD dog and the Energizer Bunny on Steroids. He's also an escape artist. When he stayed with me before, he escaped--from my fenced yard.

I wasn't ready for Kasey, but I got him anyway.

I've fallen in love with Kasey.

Following the advice of our local dog trainer, I've managed to calm him down a lot. He's still got quite the personality, but he's actually a pleasure to be around. He's also Foxy's best friend. Foxy has never been known for her good taste.

All of us are settling into a routine that seems to be working for us. Unfortunately it involves getting up at 5 am on work days (as opposed to 5:30--not a big deal).

Oops, gotta go. Time to haul Kasey's little butt back into the house from his tether out in the back yard.

Penny, your guys are doing well. I miss you so much.

4 comments:

  1. Judi, so, so sorry for your loss. I've lost several very close friends and I have to say that the hole in your heart never quite closes.

    Welcome to your new found friends - they sound like a handful!

    Be well. Jackie Hinson-Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi, I know Penny's passing is tough for you. She was a close and dear friend whom you had some great times with. You have some wonderful memories to look back on when times get rough.

    I look forward to see the new members of the menagerie the next time I visit, whenever that may be.... Loves, est moi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy: the hole does close. Locked in you heart and memory forever. I have lost two of my three children and I know the hole closes. Forever locked in my Heart <3
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judi, I know how hard this is for you & wish I could physically hug you and assuage some of the pain. Penny was so lucky to have you as a friend. Your friends are right that the hole doesn't really close up but the love and happy memories will stay with you always. I love you, dearest of friends and sister of the heart & spirit and soul.

    ReplyDelete