Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Last for First

I'm back!

After an absence of over a year, it's time to blog again.

I just returned from a long-dreamed, long-planned trip to Alaska for the 41st running of the Iditarod sled dog race. This trip has been a major focus of my life for over a year and a half, since Gayle and I returned from our Holland America sea/land cruise. It was during our stay in Fairbanks that I made up my mind to return to Alaska for Iditarod 41. Since making that decision, it seems like everything in life has revolved around this decision.

And now it's over.

The journey was everything I'd hoped and more. There were wild highs, face-to-face meetings with Facebook friends, new friends met at the Road Scholar program I attended, encounters with mushers and handlers and participation in the behind-the-scenes workings of the Last Great Race as a phone-room volunteer.

Rather than tell the story over and over, it seems better practice to tell it once, for all time. It'll be told in short spurts, and you can read (or not), whatever you want.

So let's get underway with a disclaimer. With only a couple of exceptions, I took no photos, but many of my friends did. When photos are in order, I'll provide links to those friends' photos. Where it's my photo, I'll post directly. This one is Anchorage at sunset, looking toward Cook Inlet, a view from our room at the Westmark Hotel, our home during the Road Scholar program.

One more disclaimer. I've set up an email list consisting of people I met during travels, YSVB volunteers and others who've expressed an interest. If you don't wish to receive these emails each time a post is published, please email me at judith.hussain@gmail.com. It won't hurt my feelings at all.

Let's review the end of the trip first. When I left Alaska, just last night, I promised myself I'd be back. Landing in Fresno some 11 hours later, I wasn't so sure. The flights to and from were abominable. No other word for it. Part of it was my fault, which will be the subject of the next post, and part of it is the way the airlines have shrunk everything to the bare minimum with no regard for passengers' comfort. Friends have assured me that with a few bottles of wine and a little time, the memories will fade, and I'll be ready for air travel again.

I'm not so sure.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I'm back on looking for info about your Alaska trip. I know it takes time and thought and motion to make the blog. I'll give you a week, well maybe a bit more knowing how long it takes to get back to schedule after a long trip.

    I agree with the airline traveling stuff. Last year a 3 week trip to TX and return tired me out so much it took a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of doing nothing. And I only had one plane going and one coming back. So suck it up, buddy, get some 2 buck Chuck, well actually something a bit more entertaining, and get the brain and fingers working.

    I live vicariously through your travels and I'm deeply in need of exciting writing and reading.

    ReplyDelete